top of page


You've chosen a great state to homeschool in!

Homeschooling in Oklahoma - Laws

In Oklahoma, there are no reporting and testing requirements for homeschool programs. As long as you teach for 180 days, you can legally operate a homeschool program following your own guidelines.

While there are no statutes requiring that certain subjects be taught, some Oklahoma courts have suggested that homeschool education should be equivalent or comparable to a public school education. For this reason, HSLDA strongly recommends that your homeschool curriculum include math, language arts, science, and social studies.

Information from HSLDA 

Click on photo to be taken to their website


More info:

  • Do we need to register our children to Homeschool in OK?

    • Homeschools are not regulated and Oklahoma law does not require parents to register with or seek approval from state or local officials, conduct state testing with their students, or permit public school officials to visit or inspect homes.​

  • What subjects are required? 

    • There is no required state approved curriculum, but a well-defined curriculum or design for learning should be implemented.  Required school subjects under Oklahoma law include: reading, writing, math, science, citizenship, US constitution, health, safety, physical education, and conservation. Academic progress must be established and maintained for the child.

  • How many days do I need to teach?

    • Home school setting should maintain compulsory school attendance as well. This would be the equivalent of 180 days per each calendar year and six clock hours or 360 minutes per day, as appropriate for child’s age.   ​

  • What does homeschool have to look like? 

    • Whatever you want it to look like. No seriously. Break this down and it's 180 days of school, but what YOU decide is school is up to you. It could be grocery shopping and include them, nature study, etc. The BEST thing about homeschool is it DOES NOT look like a public school setting. ​

  • Withdrawing your child from his or her current school

    • Notify the principal of the school district the child resides in and inform them that you plan to home school your child.  Some schools may have you sign a form that releases them from the responsibility of educating the student also stating that you are assuming full responsibility for the education of your child.​




  • You ARE NOT required to sign the release form! ​

  • You DO NOT have to notify the school board if your child has never attended public school (both virtual and in person qualify as public school in this instance). 

  • You DO NOT have to state that you will homeschool. Simply saying you are removing them for private instruction suffices. 

  • We DO recommend you send a letter if you are withdrawing your child. This way you have it in writing should you ever need it. 

  • Testing

    • Because home schools are not accredited by the State Board of Education, a student will be required to take a standardized achievement test if he/she re-enters the public school system. Results of tests may be used to determine grade placement and/or credit for the student. All examinations will be administered by the receiving school and results, as well as copies of the exam given, will be kept on file for one year. Upon re-entry into a public school, the parent/guardian must provide documentation of compliance with the above requirements. This documentation will determine if the equivalent instruction was provided during home schooling.​

    • Any student wanting a GED or Diploma must undergo state standards testing in order to achieve either. 

Most of the information above taken from the: Oklahoma State Department of Education Website

Let's talk...Highschool Transcript

  • First: Decide if your child will be working towards a GED, or a Highschool Diploma (yes, you can get either).

  • Second: Align the transcript goals according to the path your child might take after Highschool. If it's college, each one has their own requirements. Look them up on their website and follow them for easy entrance when it is time. 

  • Oklahoma has it's own set of requirements for public and private school, many parents choose to follow these same guidelines for their homeschool, but look at the LAST column for more information, because it's not required for us.

  • Here are the general public school requirements VS Homeschool requirements:​​

Diploma Requirements

Public / Private School

Students must complete a minimum of 23 credits of coursework in English, math, laboratory science, citizenship and history, fine arts or speech, and foreign language or computer technology.


Parents determine when their student has fulfilled graduation requirements and can issue their own homeschool diploma; students of private/online schools may receive diplomas from those institutions.

High School Testing Requirements

Public / Private School

Students must take tests in English II and Algebra I as well as tests from two of the following subjects: English III, Algebra II, Biology I, Geometry, or US History.


Homeschool students are not subject to testing requirements for graduation.

High School Transcripts

Public / Private School

Transcripts are kept by the school. Students wishing to receive a copy of their high school transcript can contact their school district or high school.


Homeschool parents may create their own student transcripts, and may include any information they deem pertinent to colleges, military, and/or future workplace organizations.

High School Course Credits

Public / Private School

Students must complete a minimum of 23 credits: 4 years of English, 3 years of laboratory science, 3 years of math, 3 years of history-related coursework, 1 unit of fine arts or speech, and 2 years of a foreign language or computer technology.


Parents determine when their student has fulfilled graduation requirements; for the purpose of creating transcripts, some homeschool parents do assign credits to individual courses.

GED Eligibility

Public / Private School

Students must be 18 years old or be 16 or 17 years old and have the permission of a school administrator and a parent/guardian—both must sign a release form. Students can sign up at All testing centers require test takers to show proof of identity with a government-issued ID such as a driver’s license.


The same requirements for eligibility apply to homeschoolers as to public school students.

  • HOWEVER!! Keep in mind that you are certifying this diploma. So, whether your child has met your requirements accordingly is what matters. You don't require foreign language? No problem! 


  • Oklahoma Promise is a good resource for helping with future scholarships. And they have excellent resources, but keep in mind that these specifications for Oklahoma Promise is for that program specifically.


bottom of page